Restorative Justice International .org
an activity of the Restorative Justice Project
Center for Peacemaking and Conflict Studies
Fresno Pacific University
RJ International Training and Intervention Activities
Note: Reports on the UKDW server in Yogyakarta will open in a new window. The server there is very slow and you may need to refresh once or twice to see the photos. We are in the process of mirroring the reports or redoing the pages to allow quicker download from outside Yogyakarta.
- October 16-18, 2001 - National Empowering for Reconciliation Workshop Advanced
- October 10-13, 2001 - National Empowering for Reconciliation Workshop
- September 27-29, 2001 - Empowering for Reconciliation Short Course for Students
- September 23-25, 2001 - Forum Nasional Kepedulian HAM di Papua facilitator preparation in Biak
- September 18-20, 2001 - Basic conflict resolution training event in Ambon sponsored by UNICEF. This event brought together a group that was 50% Muslim and 50% Christian in a city wracked by inter-group violence. There were two bombings while we were there and armed soldiers were everywhere.
- July 23-27, 2001 - Training event "Resolving Conflict in Traditional Community Rights" (Resolusi Konflik Hak Asasi Masyarakat Adat Papua) for those involved in working with community land conflicts and traditional law issues in Irian Jaya, at Manokwari. This event coincided with nearby ongoing violence between government forces and guerrillas fighting against land confiscation.
- July 17-20, 2001 - Facilitator training event in Jayapura, Irian Jaya as part of a province-wide reconciliation process by Forum Nasional Kepedulian HAM di Papua.
- June 2001 - Five day training in negotiation and mediation and a three-day advanced training for leaders of NGOs in Hanoi, Vietnam, led by Ron and Roxanne Claassen.
- May 14-June 2, 2001 - "Church Conflict Management and Leadership" course taught at Asian Theological Seminary, Quezon City, Philippines.
- March 19-21, 2001 - Lanjutan Pemberdayaan untuk Rekonsiliasi/ Advanced Empowering for Reconciliation at Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- March 14-17, 2001 - Pemberdayaan untuk Rekonsiliasi/ Empowering for Reconciliation. Basic training at Kaliurang, DIY, Indonesia
- March 3, 2001 - Peer Mediation 1/2 day short course as a follow-up event for those who have had basic Empowering for Reconciliation. At Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- December 1-3, 2000 at UKDW. Empowering for Reconciliation Student Level workshop. The first of what is planned as an every semester event.
- October 9-14, 2000 at Yogyakarta, Indonesia. "Empowering for Reconciliation" national training for participants from every major Indonesian Island and Singapore. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower and eight Indonesian colleagues presented. At Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- September 26-30, 2000 at Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines. "Peace as a Foundation for Development" workshop for partners of Christian Reformed World Relief Committee on Mindanao. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower provided training and facilitation with the assistance of two colleagues from Indonesia.
- August 28-31, 2000 at Biak, Irian Jaya. Training in facilitation for Sinode GKI pastors. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower and three Indonesian colleagues.
- August 18-20, 2000 at Bandungan, Java. Facilitation of Temu Raya of Sinode Gereja Injili Tanah Jawa. The reconciliation meeting leading to the Sidang Raya reuniting the Synod after ten years of separation. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower and four Indonesian colleagues.
- May 8-30, 2000 at various locations in Papua Barat (Irian Jaya). Training and facilitation for 400 of the 460 pastors of Sinode Gereja Kristen Injili di Irian Jaya. The question posed was: "How shall the church respond to the issues arising from aspirations for independence and autonomy?" The process developed a set of draft plans for further work, and will be followed by an intensive training for GKI facilitators later this year. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower and two Indonesian colleagues.
- March 1-6, 2000 in Yogyakarta, Java. Five-day Empowering for Reconciliation training. The group included followers of Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism and Islam. This is the basic workshop for those wanting to work with community reconciliation. Duane's co-trainer was Bill O'Neill of BellMitra Associates, Birmingham, Alabama. They were assisted by a number of Indonesian co-workers.
- February 26-28, 2000 in Yogyakarta, Java. Three day seminar for members of Tim Independen Rekonsiliasi Ambon (Independent Team for Reconciliation of Ambon). The team had just returned from its first visit to Ambon, the largest of the Moluku Islands. Ambon has been wracked by deadly violence between Christians and Muslims for the past year. TIRA is an inter-religious group of Muslims and Christians dedicated to offering non-violent alternatives to the Ambonese people. It is sponsored by Universitas Kristen Duta Wacana, Gadjah Mada University (public) and the Islamic University. This seminar and training time was designed to debrief and develop a plan for the next phases of their involvement. Craig Arendse of South Africa was lead trainer. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower has an ongoing consulting/ training/support role for the team. Support for this event was provided by Plowshares Institute.
- January 25, 2000 in Manokwari, West Papua (formerly Irian Jaya). Duane Ruth-Heffelbower offered a half-day seminar introducing cross-cultural conflict concepts to members of the faculty of Cenderawasih University (public university) and leaders from non-governmental organizations in the area. Application of the concepts to inter-ethnic violence was the focus. MCCer Jim Dontje served as interpreter.
- December 17-19, 1999 in Bandungan, Java. Kursus Resolusi Konflik Bagi Generasi Muda (A Course in Conflict Resolution for the Younger Generation) training for university and high school student activists from the city of Solo which has been plagued by riots. Sponsored by Forum Salatiga. Duane Ruth-Heffelbower with two Indonesian colleagues.
- November 19-20, 1999 in Salatiga, Java for Indonesia and Philippines national staff and partners of Christian Reformed World Relief Committee. Training titled: "Konflik dan Menciptakan Perdamaian Lintas Budaya." (Conflict and Peacemaking Across Cultures) Duane Ruth-Heffelbower and two Indonesian colleagues.
Page maintained by Webmaster. Last modified March 29, 2004.